top of page


Planning permission and permitted development are not straight forward. Here are Parker's Design answers to some of your questions. If you don't see what you're looking for, get in touch!

What is the difference between Parkers Design and a RIBA architect?

Architects in the UK are registered with the Architect’s Registration Board (ARB) and will have trained for 7 years to qualify. Some will also be a member of the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA). Investing in a professional to design your home is something we advocate BUT a RIBA architect often comes with a price tag many can't afford. That's where Parkers Design come in, we have the know how and very similar experience to an architect. We have trained in the field and have expert knowledge as a result. We are fully insured giving you peace of mind. More importantly we are affordable, saving you a lot of money when comparing your quote with a RIBA architect. Just like an architect our expertise can help you establish a brief for your home, within your budget that also complies with planning constraints. We provide you with everything you need for planning permission and all the information you need for building regs. We also manage your application with the local planning authority for no extra fee. We can even help you select a builder and and an officer to inspect their work.

How do I know if I need planning permission?

Some alterations to family homes can be carried out as permitted development without the need for planning permission, although the exact details of what is allowed varies depending on certain things such as house type and previous developments. If you live in an area of outstanding natural beauty or a conservation area you will have rules that are unique to you.  A good source of information is the planning portal, which has details of common projects and interactive guides. An even easier way to discover if you need planning permission is to contact us and we’ll be only too pleased to provide advice! We can also talk through the benefits of a lawful development certificate.

What happens if I use you to produce my plans?

We’ll arrange a time to visit you to measure the site, produce the plans, then once you’ve approved them we’ll submit the application on your behalf. Find out more about the process here.

How much are your fees and what is included?

Our fees are based on the requirements of each individual project but you can see the typical prices on our pricing page. Before we start work we will provide a written quotation for you to agree so you know exactly how much our services will cost you. You can make as many changes as you like included in the fee. We don’t do spiraling costs or unexpected fees, so the price you see is the price you pay (t&c's apply). 

Included in the fee is a measured site visit (survey), preparation and submission of your application, liaison with your local authority and professional drawings for you to keep(PDF only). The only additional costs are the fees charged by your local authority for a standard householder planning application/lawful development certificate and any specialist reports e.g bat survey.

You will be invoiced twice; 50% at the point of your survey and the remaining 50% once your application is ready to be submitted or 4 weeks after your first zoom call, whichever is soonest.  Payment is required upon receipt of the invoice, within 7 days.

Do you include Building Regulations?

We will produce your drawings for building regulations as part of the fee however we do not include submission to the local authority or building control inspection. We also do not include costs for any structural calculations. Often your builder will do these as part of their service but if not, and you would like to obtain these before selecting a builder just let us know and we’ll put you in touch with one of our recommended private building control inspectors/structural engineers.

What are your terms and conditions?

We like to be clear about what working with us means, here are our latest terms and conditions.

When do I pay, and how?

You will be invoiced twice; 50% when booking your survey and the remaining 50% once your planning is ready for submitted or 4 weeks after your first zoom call, whichever is soonest.  Payment is required upon receipt of the invoice, within 7 days. Payment of the planning authority fee is due prior to us submitting the drawings to your local authority and is an additional fee to our invoice.


Please see our terms and conditions for full payment terms.

How long does the process take?

For most projects the plans would be completed within 2 to 4 weeks from the initial consultations. Once you have approved the plans we can submit them on your behalf to you local authority planning department. It would then take between 8-12 weeks for the decision to be made by your local planning authority.

Do you have recommended builders?

We work with several companies on a regular basis and are happy to recommend them to you, we trust them with your build. We can send details of builders on request.


On the rare occasion that something goes wrong it is important to note that Parkers Design (Southern) Ltd are not affiliated with any of our recommended construction companies. In the event of a dispute, Parkers Design (Southern) Ltd cannot be held liable for any issues with the construction process as a result of our recommendation.

What happens if I get any objections or a refusal?

We recommend that before approving the plans you share them with you neighbours. Involving your neighbours from an early stage reduces the chances that they object to your plans, and gives you the option to make small amendments to satisfy any concerns. This is particularly important if a party wall agreement is required by the council. 

If your application is not approved by the planners then using the feedback they provide we will work with you to try to find a suitable solution. One re-submission is included in the local authority application fee, and for minor amendments we would not normally charge a fee. We do not normally appeal decisions but on occasion it may be possible, we will let you know if this is an option for your application.

Can you provide measurements and print my plans?

Parkers Design are a paperless company. We understand that our clients may wish to see their plans printed. That's why we provide everything you need to see your designs digitally. We walk you through everything over zoom and email PDF documents. As a paperless company we do not provide a printing service and are working with Carbon Neutral Britain to offset our carbon impact on the environment.. Here's the no. 1 reason why:

Having a paperless office helps make the earth greener by saving the environment. Less paper means fewer trees being cut down. We are learning to be more responsible for our impact on the environment and this is a simple step we can take.

Yes we can provide measurements for planning purposes and build estimates. The measurements we provide are taken from the drawings we create. Our drawings are as accurate as possible and normally within a 1 cm tolerance. They are provided as a visual representation of your home for planning submission. Measurements should not be used for ordering materials for your build. For the most accurate measurements you should consult your construction manger. 

Create your dream home.
Tell us about your project today.

bottom of page